Sunday, April 20, 2003

I'm SLEEEPY! So this is what's been going on the past two days:

Yesterday I woke up around 8:30 to go to temple with Matt and his family 'cause Matt was reading this big long thing that I'm going to spell wrong if I try to put it here. Matt picked me up at 9:45 and we went to his temple and I actually like it better than mine. Actually...I like all temples better than mine, practically. For some reason, I think at my temple, because everyone's reform, they all feel so guilty about being reform and not feeling "Jewish" enough that they torture themselves during services and it's boring and horrible. At my temple everyone stays in the synagogue for the whole service, except to go to the bathroom or something, and everyone is quiet the whole time except to read when it says the whole temple should read. At Matt's, people hung out oustide, people would sometimes talk to each other, and everything was just much more relaxed. It was a much friendlier feeling.

But anyway, I saw Mr. Cohen there! And he was like "My former student! Hi!" and that made me really happy 'cause Mr. Cohen is just so nice and everyone loves him. Matt read his part (sang it, actually) and it was really good. Yay Matt! I'm so proud of him.

After that and some hanging out, it was off to Pennsylvania for Laurel's surprise party. Which was extra surprise-ful 'cause her birthday's not actually until June. But this is when her mom could plan it and when she was sure people could go, so that's when it happened. I showed up a little before most of the people and it was kind of weird at first 'cause I really didn't know anyone. After Laurel got there (she was VERY surprised) it got a little better, 'cause she introduced me to people and that was good.

They had a DJ and a kareoke machine and I did something crazy and actually sang kareoke. In case you don't know, I have this HUGE fear of singing by myself in public. But first of all, everyone else was really horrible so I figured if I was really bad it'd look like I'd done it on purpose. Also: I didn't know any of these people. So who cares if I screwed up, I'd never see any of them again. So I went up and sang "I Will Survive" and it turned out really well. I actually got a lot of compliments and some kid randomly came up to me and was like "Are you a professional singer?" to which I answered "No" and then he left and I started cracking up. But it kinda made me happy. And the actual singing part was a lot of fun, 'cause eventually my nerves went away and it was just soooo much fun to be singing in front of people.

But I'm still too scared to sing at cabaret night, so shut up. It's different to sing "Adelaide's Lament" than it is to sing "I Will Survive".

The party was okay. Laurel was really surprised to see me there, because I had to drive two hours to get there and I had just seen her at the seder a few days before and hadn't said a word. Haha. Everyone there has a nickname. Laurel decided I needed a nickname and they named me "Avril" (gaaaahhh nooooo) 'cause of my last name and because I'm sarcastic. But ich, Avril?!?! I hate her!

Slept over at Laurel's and stayed up much too late. Had lunch/breakfast and then came home. Tra la la.

Oh yeah. And some kid asked me if I wanted to see his "shaggin' wagon". I declined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here