Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Did you know Mari can shake it like a polaroid picture?

So I had a rather lovely birthday, which was nice considering I thought I would have a bit of a crappy day.

My mom woke me up singing happy birthday and carrying a plate of chocolate chip pancakes. We all ate on my parents bed at about 9 in the morning and it was nice and calm and also tasty. My parents got me four shirts and two skirts. Three of those things were from Anthropologie and I'm totally in love with them already. :-) I decided to dress up and wear the new outfit I'd gotten. I kinda looked like I was getting dressed for church since it was Easter since I was all purple and flowery, but I felt pretty. Hehe.

We went to visit my Grandma at the nursing home. That was kind of creepy. I hadn't been there before. We went down to the room she was sitting in and it was like some odd David Lynch type experience. It was just loads of old people sitting in their wheelchairs around tables in this cafeteria like area all staring into space, completely silent. No one talked or even acknoweledged our presence when we walked in. I smiled at some of the people my grandmother was sitting with and they just stared at me. All of this was going on and "Young at Heart" was playing over the sound system. Very very odd.

Meanwhile, my Grandmother looked different...skinnier...and she had just taken a shower so her hair was laying flat on her head. I didn't recognize her until my mother started talking to her. It was weird and a bit scary. We took her into this little kitchen area, we'd brought her cake and other goodies. We got her to eat some cake for my birthday. At one point this woman walked in as my dad was showing my grandmother all the stuff we had brought her, like some cookies and pretzels. It had all come from her temple for Purim. Anyway, as my dad was showing her these things, this woman walks in, smiling, and goes "Ooh, can I have a pretzel?". So my dad opens the bag and hands her some pretzels and the woman then puts her hand on my back and started rubbing my back and smiling at me. Not in a creepy way at all, let me just say that, it was weird 'cause I didn't know her but it was oddly not really that awkward at all with her because she seemed really motherly and sweet. She did it like she was my grandmother, just rubbing my back and smiling at me all comforting. I just smiled and let her stand there with her hand on my back until she finished her pretzels and left. Poor woman probably misses her own grandchildren. I think most of the people who were sitting in the cafeteria were sitting there because their families weren't coming to visit that day. Sad. Also, I think maybe it wasn't that creepy that the old woman rubbed my back because I guess I kinda missed my own grandmother doing that. My grandmother hasn't been able to be sweet and motherly in a long time. And I guess I didn't ever realize that I kind of missed that, my grandma who would take care of me when I was sick and always just wanted to make sure I was okay.

Anyway, on to less depressing things! We left after a little while to go to my aunt's house for a family birthday party for me and my cousin. His birthday is the day after mine, so we always celebrate together. My aunt made us each a cake! My cousin got pumpkin cake (his favorite), and I got chocolate (my favorite) :-). My aunt is cool. She said she made two cakes because she was bored just making the pumpkin cake. She makes it all the time for my cousin. Anyway, she got me some more clothes, a shirt and a shrug, both very pretty. And apparently my uncle and grandmother both ordered some cool things for me off amazon. Garden State Soundtrack (yes!), The Incredibles (another yes!), and the The Sims 2 expansion pack (woohoo!). I have to finish playing fallout 2 first, or at least get sick of it. Holy crap that game is addicting, haha.

Later that night I went to Starbucks with Mari and Linda!! That was lots of fun, we sat and just talked and talked at Starbucks and Mari gave us both Cadbury Cream Eggs (I still haven't eaten mine!! Oooh, yummy) and it was lots of fun. And Mari drove! It was so cute. She's a good driver, and she got scared that these people were crossing the street in front of her....like two blocks in front of her...haha...Mari, I love you. And I love Linda. I love my friends. :-)

I got lots of birthday calls and IM's from friends, some of whom I hadn't talked to in awhile like Philippe and Miles and Alicia called me while I was at Starbucks, and Dave IMed me and Joseph gave me a happy birthday on his blog and it was just very nice and made me feel special, hehe. And this morning I got a message from Laurel!! From South Africa! She's on Semester at Sea and called me from Capetown! That's the second time she's called to say happy birthday to me from way far away. Once she called from China. Laurel is awesome, she is totally my adopted sister. Not just for that, but still, that is way sweet and unnecessary of her. Sucks I can't call her back and say thank you. Oh well. I shall e-mail her.

Anyway, now I go. I fell asleep at like 7 this evening and just slept through till midnight. Crazy. Night. :-) And thanks for all the birthday wishes and fun and happiness. <3

1 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Gomez said...

wow. that took me like an hour to read.

Wed Mar 30, 12:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here