Friday, January 23, 2004

The other day I went to the Bagel Chateau and was truly disgusted by some people. One of them women who works there was talking to this guy who was waiting for his food. She was telling him how she wanted to be a teacher in Millburn or Livingston. The guy asked where she lived and she said Union and he said, "Oh yeah, you don't want to teach there, that's becoming like another Maplewood or South Orange."

So my first thought was like "What is THAT supposed to mean? What's wrong with Maplewood and South Orange?"

The women said, "Yeah, my sister goes to Union High and I'm like scared for her life."

Huh?

Then the guy said the most disgusting thing, "Yeah, all those Italian and Jewish and Irish families that used to live around there....they're gone..."

Excuse me?! So what you mean is it's becoming a bad place because BLACK PEOPLE live there?!

I was so disgusted. I should have said something to them, but I wimped out.

Thinking about it now still makes my skin crawl. Jesus Christ. I've never actually heard someone talk like that in my own town. Let alone in a resturant I've been going to for years. It's completely disgusting. And gross. And wrong. And if you don't like living in a diverse community, then get the fuck out, because we don't want you or your stupid white flight racist stereotypical bullshit.

At least I don't want it. I love living in Maplewood. It's a nice town. It's beautiful, it's near the city, and it's got lots of different kinds of people who are all pretty cool. And I say if you can afford to live here 'cause lord knows it ain't cheap, but if you can afford to live here then go ahead. Why should you not want to live someplace like this? It's nice. And if you want to live here, and you can, than more power to you.

Argh. I hate racist bastards. They make me sick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here