Tuesday, September 03, 2002

Had really strange dreams last night. Something about a necklace with secret messages. And my mom finding it and we got in a fight. Or something like that. I don't really remember. I just remember waking up and feeling angry at my mom and I don't know why.

Gotta go to work tonight. So THAT'S where my impending sense of dread came from. Or is it sense of impending dread? Words confuse me.

I read this really weird one act play last night called "The Universal Language". It's about this woman who goes to learn this new language that's supposed to be the greatest language in the world that everyone can understand and learn to speak. Of course, half the play is in gibberish because there are only two characters and by the end of it they're both speaking this universal language. They translate it in the script. I think if I had just seen it instead of reading it I would have been completely confused. There was a monologue in there, before the gibberish started, that I really liked.

"Dawn: The thing is, just because I'm quiet doesn't mean I have nothing to say... I mean, a tuning fork is silent, until you touch it. But then it gives off a perfect 'A'. Tap a single tuning fork and you can start up a whole orchestra. And if you tap it anywhere in the world, it still gives off a perfect 'A'! Just this little piece of metal, and it's like there's all this beautiful sound trapped inside it... But you see... I don't think language is just music. I believe that language is the opposite of loneliness. And if everybody in the world spoke the same language, who would ever be lonely?"



I should probably go to school and fix my schedule soon. Grr. I'm not supposed to have to go there until Thursday! I've seen too much of that place for one summer. I could go there tomorrow and scare the freshmen...except that most of them would probably think I'm a freshmen, too. Bad idea.

Time to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here