Friday, June 10, 2005

Scheidenwhat?

I like PostSecret.com a lot. For one, people do some really cool artwork. And even though some of the secrets are rather eerie (like the one that said "Everyone who knew me before 9/11 thinks I'm dead" with a picture of the towers), it's really oddly comforting to realize that everyone really has some freakish aspect of them that they think no one will really understand or they find shameful. It makes you feel a little better about your own freakish parts. Sometimes it's 'cause you read something about someone that you identify in yourself. Sometimes it's that scheidenfreude (if I spelled that right someone totally owes me money) thing...taking pleasure from someone else's pain ('cause hey, at least it's not you with the problem!)

Like I said, I like it a lot. Sometimes there is rarely anything quite as comforting as a good secret.

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

www.dictionary.com

Sat Jun 11, 11:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way, no way! I am obsessed with postsecret.com too! I read an article about it in the NY times sometime last week and I decided to look. I tend to agree with the article, though: I think it's more about people glorifying themselves through shame than it is about shame itself. I'm going to send one one day!

lovetoby

Sat Jun 11, 06:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "schadenfreude." Great vocab word, though.

Sun Aug 12, 04:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here