Sunday, September 22, 2002

Beware: This is fairly confusing.

I believe there is a little part of my fathers brain that is unique only to him. This little part is a little button labeled "repeat" and goes on every time he tries to tell me something, such as I need to have a list of colleges soon. Why do I need a list of colleges? Lord only knows. My parents have this warped mindset that I must visit every single college on the east coast and I can't apply to a school unless I've seen the campus and taken a long boring tour.

Today he tells me that I'm supposed to have my list of colleges by today. Apparently we agreed on this two weeks ago and I completely forgot, so when he comes and makes this random demand of me, I get a little frustrated that no one reminded me. He says I snap at them when they remind me. Yes, I've been known to do that, but only because they do it at the worst possible times, like when I'm in the middle of doing a long, tedious math assignment. But then he starts saying how important it is and how it needs to get done and I say I've been busy since it's the first two weeks of school and I've spent a lot of time either working or doing homework. I tell him I need to talk to Mrs. Tennenbaum and that I have to make an appointment with her. He says that I need to make sure to make an appointment with her (here's where the "repeat" kicks in). I say I will, but it's not completely up to me, it also depends on her schedule. He again tells me that I need to make an appointment with her. Then he tells me how important it is that I make this list (again). Then he says I need to give him a specific date when I'll be able to tell him a specific date when the list will be done. No I did not make a typo there. He actually said that, but it was something like "I need a timetable for the timetable" (his logic confuses me. If I just said I can't give him a time table right this second for one thing, what makes him think I'll be able to give him a time table right this second for something else?). My father, the broken record. I tell him I'll get it done. He then repeats himself six more times and gets angry about my getting frustrated at him and telling him I get it and that he doesn't have to keep giving me a lecture when I just said I got it five times in a row.

My dad's famous for this. He doesn't listen, just keeps repeating himself and repeating himself long after you've given him an answer and by the time he stops, you really feel like throwing really heavy things at him.

Ow, my brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here