Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The man will not bring me down...

I am hopefully going to sleep soon. I'm lying in bed with my light off hugging my stuffed animal (s'a monkey...I can't say "hugging my monkey" without David accusing me of google baiting...oops...) and writing this, whee.

Awhile ago I renamed Tuesday as Total Asshole Day. That's because it's two for one day at work and that means many rather er...thrifty? (read cheap) people who like to pick fights come in and yell at me for trying to do my job.

This morning a man came in to open an account who smelled so heavily of cigarettes he literally made my chest hurt. It was disgusting. He was also quite the weirdo, he didn't get the concept of a line...he thought he should get to pay first because he'd been in the store first....and the little girl sitting on the floor playing with her video while waiting for him to pay completely freaked him out. I was happy when he left and I got to help the woman and her toddler who were far more pleasant and better smelling.

A woman who had previously told me off for not letting her use her credit card and left with harsh words about going to a chain store came back! She was as pleasant as ever. People get mad when they have a movie that doesn't work and we'll only give them a credit for a different disc of the same movie. We have to! 'Cause otherwise there are lots of people who think they're smart and tell us a movie is broken simply so they can get a free one. Is that really hard to understand? I mean if we didn't have another copy of that movie of course we'd let you get something else. But we can't just let everyone go "my movies broken, gimme a new one".

One woman came in wanting a stamp on her card (you get a stamp for every rental, when you get a certain number you get a free movie) for paying her late fee. She didn't really understand why I wouldn't stamp the card, after all she was paying what it would cost to rent the movie. Eesh. Seriously people, I know you don't like spending money, but I'm not going to REWARD you for returning your movies late. Although she did eventually say she didn't mean to get mad at me since I didn't make the rules, that was nice of her I guess.

Though today I had a treat, and I don't mean that sarcastically. A woman came in and kind of made my day. She had a kids movie for her daughter that had been a week late. The fee was about 7 dollars plus tax. I told her carefully, really fearing getting another lashing out for something that was completely not my fault, but instead she said to me, "Oh, okay, I don't mind as long as she's watching the movie!"

Seriously, you don't know how much I appreciated that. Someone who not only takes responsibility, but doesn't even mind a silly thing like a late fee because her daughter is enjoying the video and that's what matters. I actually thanked her for not complaining. It made me feel slightly better about humanity.

Then my favorite dog came in to the store and that made me even happier 'cause he came right over to me and licked my hand when he came in the store. Yay puppies. And his owners are totally cool people, as well...although I feel bad because I remember their dogs name and never their names. Oops.

Jake is yelling at me to go to bed and now that I've finished writing I guess I will. Because I'm tired. Not because Jake told me to. Take that, Jake!

1 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Gomez said...

ok i was going to write something, but my pop up blocker blocked your comment window, and now it takes more effort for me to write something. Boo.

Wed Aug 31, 11:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here